Skip to main content

Physics - Vibrations

Image result for vibration


Are all vibrations 'good'?

- A 'good' vibration depends on who's involved! If good = beneficial, then no, not all vibrations would benefit all involved parties equally. The vibration which brings down a bridge is not good for the bridge, the workers, or anyone on the bridge. It is good for me, in that it's incredibly interesting and makes me wonder whether my humming could ever stop traffic, or if a cat's purr could cause an electric can opener to operate.


Resonance in my world

About 2 weeks after our class on vibrations, I got to use the new information in a dream. There was a guy who was showing me his new personal sound device – the ear buds were just tiny pieces of cheap styrofoam he broke off to put into my ears. No cords or anything. I asked him if they worked because they were attuned to the resonance of the player. He said no, the pieces of foam were sentient and only worked if they enjoyed what was being played.

I went to a musical event for the summer solstice, where I heard an unearthly beautiful acapella group sing very old songs under a vaulted ceiling. The resonance they created - when I closed my eyes, I could feel everything around me vibrate: the singers, the ceiling, the pews, the other people, my own heart and bones. They stirred a resonance in the seen and unseen in a way I'm not sure I want to understand. Some things are better suited for mystery.


Connections I can make between energy & qi

I feel like the subject of energy ~ qi is a loaded one! Like everything western vs eastern, there is no tidy apples to apples comparison, but instead occasional pieces of overlap. Energy is qi...sometimes. Qi is energy....sometimes. But this is a gross simplification of both concepts.

- Both are units of measurement, describing a force inside and outside of ourselves.
- Though immaterial, this force is easily influenced by everything from unconscious intent to the more mechanical workings of the lungs.
- Both can be cultivated, directed and condensed/dispersed.
- Either can be pathological or beneficial, depending on location, direction, and intent.
- Both may be transferred from one medium to another: ie food into fuel, or sound wave to a single, measurable point.
- Both may be transferred easily, period. Between just about anything, although the amount of energy/qi depends on other factors like origination, mass, movement.
- Although I hear about 'conservation of energy', I don't hear much about 'conservation of qi'. More about loss of qi, but that might just be because I'm studying the pathologies of qi, not the behavior of qi on a wider, more holistic scale.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Biochemistry Paper: The Microbiome and TCM

ACCHS Biochemistry Summer 2018 Professor Spears Sarah Donnelly The Microbiome and TCM The microbiome is an enormously interesting area right now. With steadily rising rates of gastrointestinal disorders, despite all the best that western medicine has to offer, people are looking for a solution which isn't worse than the illness. Clostridium difficile (C.diff) infections alone have doubled in the United States in the last decade. There are many variables which can contribute to all this gut-sickness, but the underlying problem is our western medical model. Our current model, with the finest technology and equipment at its disposal, has distilled all functional parts of the human body – flora and fauna, vitamins, probiotics, antioxidants, amino acids and the like – down to their very basest constituents. We have the machines which tell us exactly which nutrients we lack, and we pack it into pills and swallow it down. This is our preventative medicine. The body ...

Biophysics: Energy Fields & Energy Medicine

Death, illness, suffering are as natural a part of life as birth. From these shadow subjects comes the richness of religion, philosophy and faith - the very fearsomeness of death gives life it's spice and energy. How we deal with suffering - whether we accept it or fight it - has everything to do with the culture of our community. Do we intend to avoid suffering at all cost? Do we intend to enjoy the life we have, and connect with the people we call family? Do we choose not only run towards pain, but help shepherd others through theirs?  My grandfather had been living alone and mostly isolated after my grandma passed away. When my uncle stopped in to visit, he found that grandpa was sleeping downstairs on an old, broken, moldy couch covered in dog hair and urine, using a loaf of bread as a pillow. He was disoriented and in pain. Uncle Derrick took him to the hospital and they found a huge colorectal tumor, nearly complete hearing loss and borderline vision. We had ...