Skip to main content

Physics: Synthesis

My E-Prime Day - describe your day, using only English Prime
My preset alarm chimed, signaling the time 5:30am had arrived in Northen California in summer of 2018. I processed myself through the morning cycle of intake, output, shower, and traveled to school by driving my car. After I arrived in clinic, I placed needles in elderly patients, spun them a bit, and removed them. The next phase of my day led me upstairs to the western science classes where I learned about physics and biochemistry. After classes, I met with friends, and traveled home again.




How might you synthesize eastern and western ideas in Physics?
This class has given me a great head start, because I feel this synthesis otherwise lacking in our curriculum. Reading books like The Tao of Physics and continuing to follow acupuncturists who work in networks with traditional western practitioners. There's a wonderful non-profit over on 16th Street, Oakland called Charlotte Maxwell Complementary Clinic (CMCC). Volunteering there was one of the reasons I decided to pursue acupuncture. CMCC is a complementary alternative clinic for low-income women with cancer. The practitioners there are nurses, nutritionists, hypnotherapists, acupuncturists/acupressure therapists, massage therapists, energy workers, and every other conceivable complementary healing modality. Each patient will have one or more treatments per visit, and at the end of the day, the small group of practitioners(3-6) will regroup and talk over the challenges or concerns about their shared patients, and make recommendations for referrals if necessary. I was there for 5 years as a massage therapist, and at the end of each shift I was so inspired at the knowledge and efficacy of the acupuncturists' work through our mutual patients. Observing the ease in which they navigated in both eastern and western jargon and addressed their patients' issues with expertise and compassion changed my mind about what a Chinese Medicine doctor could be.

Synthesis happens when a bunch of diverse data pouring into my brain finds novel ways to fit together. If I can keep myself in circles and networks of both Eastern and Western healers, I expand my exposure to potential new syntheses


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Biochemistry Paper: The Microbiome and TCM

ACCHS Biochemistry Summer 2018 Professor Spears Sarah Donnelly The Microbiome and TCM The microbiome is an enormously interesting area right now. With steadily rising rates of gastrointestinal disorders, despite all the best that western medicine has to offer, people are looking for a solution which isn't worse than the illness. Clostridium difficile (C.diff) infections alone have doubled in the United States in the last decade. There are many variables which can contribute to all this gut-sickness, but the underlying problem is our western medical model. Our current model, with the finest technology and equipment at its disposal, has distilled all functional parts of the human body – flora and fauna, vitamins, probiotics, antioxidants, amino acids and the like – down to their very basest constituents. We have the machines which tell us exactly which nutrients we lack, and we pack it into pills and swallow it down. This is our preventative medicine. The body ...

Physics - Vibrations

Are all vibrations 'good'? - A 'good' vibration depends on who's involved! If good = beneficial, then no, not all vibrations would benefit all involved parties equally. The vibration which brings down a bridge is not good for the bridge, the workers, or anyone on the bridge. It is good for me, in that it's incredibly interesting and makes me wonder whether my humming could ever stop traffic, or if a cat's purr could cause an electric can opener to operate. Resonance in my world About 2 weeks after our class on vibrations, I got to use the new information in a dream. There was a guy who was showing me his new personal sound device – the ear buds were just tiny pieces of cheap styrofoam he broke off to put into my ears. No cords or anything. I asked him if they worked because they were attuned to the resonance of the player. He said no, the pieces of foam were sentient and only worked if they enjoyed what was being played. I went to a m...

Biophysics: Energy Fields & Energy Medicine

Death, illness, suffering are as natural a part of life as birth. From these shadow subjects comes the richness of religion, philosophy and faith - the very fearsomeness of death gives life it's spice and energy. How we deal with suffering - whether we accept it or fight it - has everything to do with the culture of our community. Do we intend to avoid suffering at all cost? Do we intend to enjoy the life we have, and connect with the people we call family? Do we choose not only run towards pain, but help shepherd others through theirs?  My grandfather had been living alone and mostly isolated after my grandma passed away. When my uncle stopped in to visit, he found that grandpa was sleeping downstairs on an old, broken, moldy couch covered in dog hair and urine, using a loaf of bread as a pillow. He was disoriented and in pain. Uncle Derrick took him to the hospital and they found a huge colorectal tumor, nearly complete hearing loss and borderline vision. We had ...